Tuesday, April 27, 2010

TEA PARTIES

A LONE RIDER MAKES HIS ENTRANCE TO THE TEA PARTY HELD IN BOERNE

(Photo by Doug Kirk)

On Saturday, April 24th, a series of Tea Parties were held in Comal County. The primary purpose was to discuss the proposed $75 million Justice Center. A wide variety of invited speakers were on hand to give their opinions regarding this topic as well as several others. I was honored to be one of the invited speakers and although I am running for Texas State Representative, District 73, I was advised that I would need to speak simply as a concerned citizen. Besides not being allowed to make any kind of campaign pitch, I was also asked to keep my remarks to under three minutes.

Some of you have asked what I said and what I thought about this experience. To that end I am posting below the text of my remarks made to those in attendance. As for my overall reaction to these events, let me simply say that I thought all of the speakers gave very thought-provoking and informative presentations. All-in-all, approximately 210 people attended the three Tea Parties which were held in Landa Park, Sattler and Bulverde. The weather was terrific and I would participate again if asked.


(Photo by Pat Friedrich)

Here's the text of my remarks:

"The first thing I want to do is thank those who succeeded in getting this issue before the voters. Had it not been for their dedication and effort, the single largest public works project in Comal County history would have gone forward under the shadow of darkness without voter approval. My sincere thanks go to Ken Valentine, Glen Peterson, Doug Kirk and everyone else who worked so hard and diligently to secure the required number of signatures to bring this issue before the voters.

As for why we are all here -- I simply ask that the County Commissioners and all those in favor of the new Justice Center stop and consider the current economic climate. Just about everyone I know is having financial difficulties to one degree or another and this is simply not the time to add to a family's financial burden. Instead, I personally think that it is time for one great big "TIME OUT" for all politicians to simply back off.

Yes -- I'm talking about a "TIME OUT." It works with unruly pre-school children when they get so caught up with an inappropriate behavior that they need a "transition" to help them go from a "bad" behavior to a "good' behavior. And it should work for unruly politicos as well. Without a shadow of a doubt I believe our elected officials could benefit by the same process -- in Washington, D. C., in Austin and in Comal County as well.

LET'S CALL A SIMPLE "TIME OUT" -- no comprehensive health care, no comprehensive immigration, no onerous cap and trade policies, no Trans-Texas Corridor, no tolling of existing, publicly funded roadways, no additional spending that isn't 100% absolutely necessary.

And NO Justice Center. At least not now.

For me, the message to the County Commissioners and the supporters of this onerous financial burden is best stated by the Rolling Stones --- "You Can't Always Get What You Want!"



(Photo by Doug Kirk)

I'm sure there will be more Tea Parties scheduled in the months ahead. Based on my experience this past Saturday, I would encourage everyone reading this to attend a Tea Party at some time in the future. While I certainly do not agree with all of the points of view expressed at these gatherings, I still believe it is worthwhile to get involved and to listen to your fellow citizens and not just what is being said on radio and TV and in the newspapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment